Directly responsible to: Camp Director
Position Purpose: The Food Service Director (FSD) manages the overall food service operation at Camp Bishopswood, including
menu planning, purchasing, preparation, nutrition, safety, service, sanitation, record keeping, and
sustainability initiatives. This non-profit organization serves 3 meals to approximately 140 people a day during
the summer. The food service department will become an integral part of the overall camp program and
community under the leadership of this position. This is a cooking position.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage the daily operations of the camp food and dining service, including coordinating activities
between the kitchen and the operation of camp.
- Oversee the planning and preparation of nutritionally balanced camp meals, snacks, and outdoor
- Ensure safe and efficient preparation and serving of camp meals.
- Oversee the inventory and ordering of food, equipment, and supplies and arrange for the routine
maintenance, sanitation, and upkeep of the camp kitchen, its equipment, and facilities while keeping
safety regulations in mind.
- Promote practices that seek to reduce waste, reuse items, and recycle/compost as much as possible.
- Partner with vendors to receive optimum values including rebates.
- Partner with local farmers and vendors to provide the freshest, best-tasting, and most nutritional food
- Monitor employee performance and training to OSHA food service standards.
- Experience in institutional or large food service setting.
- Knowledge of and experience in food service: ordering, inventory, budgeting, food preparation, family-style serving, buffet serving, cleaning, and institutional kitchen equipment.
- Ability to work within a budget and purchase supplies efficiently.
- Experience in supervising effectively.
- Experience at a summer camp or residential program a plus.
- Must possess similar values and ideals to Camp Bishopswood’s philosophy and mission.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current ME State Department of Health code and safety laws and practices is preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience in preparation of special dietary foods.
- Ability to work well with others in a team setting is a must.
- Valid foodservice certifications, i.e. ServeSafe certificate.
- Physical Aspects of the Job:
- Physical ability to lift and carry 50 pounds minimum.
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods of time (60
minutes or more).
- Ability to effectively communicate with parents of campers regarding dietary needs and restrictions.